Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Phone's For You.



Today's a National Day of Rest! From what, you ask? From your kid getting phone calls from Army Recruiters like this:
"Hey Chris, this is Sgt. Kelt with the army, man. I think we got disconnected. Okay, I know you were on your cell, probably, and just had a bad connection or something like that. I know you didn't hang up on me. Anyway, by federal law you got an appointment with me at 2 o'clock this afternoon. You fail to appear and we'll have a warrant. Okay? So give me a call back."

And you thought telemarketers were bad.

In case you don't already know it, if your school receives federal funds (and most do) then they have signed on to "No Child Left Behind." Part of that legislation requires that all high schools provide home addresses and phone numbers of students to military recruiters. Now, I've told folks that in the past and they thought that wasn't such a bad thing. But maybe they hadn't thought through the whole threat with arrest thing. That coupled with no exit strategy in Iraq and the drumbeat for war in Iran and I think it's starting to feel a little drafty in here, do you?

You can opt out your kid (girls count too!), but you have to take action. Go here for more info.

Peace.

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger erinberry said...

Outrageous!

May 11, 2005 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home