Monday, October 03, 2005

Ann Wright




Lillian Hellman wrote this in the play Little Foxes:

Alexandra

You couldn't [make me stay], Mama, because I want to leave here. As I've never wanted anything in my life before. Because now I understand what papa was trying to tell me. All in one day: Addie said there were people who ate the earth and other people who stood around and watched them do it. And just now Uncle Ben said the same thing. Really, he said the same thing. Well tell him for me Mama, I'm not going to stand around and watch you do it. Tell him I'll be fighting as hard as he'll be fighting some place where people don't just stand around and watch.

And in an interview with Tamara Dietrich, Ann Wright, my hero, said this:

"What we the people of America need to do is stop this stupid war. It's unwinnable. It's not unpatriotic to say that. It's unpatriotic to stand there like a nerd and watch while idiots tear up our country and tear up another country. I ain't no idiot, and I ain't standing by to let that happen. That's why we're here on these buses."

In all my latest wanderings, Ann Wright has moved me the most. Of course, there are many amazing women involved in this movement whom I hope to know forever, but Ann Wright is amazing.

Read all about her here and here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home