Sunday, December 05, 2004

Signs of the Season

Jupiter is about to duck behind the moon. This astronomical event, called occultation, will occur this Tuesday, December 7th.

That's right- on Delaware Day. It's kind of spooky, isn't it?

Was it an occultation that the Magi saw on their way to Bethlehem? Could be...this guy thinks so... turns out the "Star of Bethlehem" night have been Jupiter hiding behind the moon @ April 17th 6 B.C. , and the event might be depicted on Roman coins. I love stuff like this.

Apparently, Out of the 48 contiguous United States, only Washington, Oregon and
California are completely shut out of this sky show...


Is it because these are blue states? It works in mysterious ways.

Checking out the wikipedia listing on atheism (this is what I do on a Sunday morning) I came across this delightful quote from Bush pere:

"I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." -G.H.W.B. 1987

Wait... I'm getting another message from Jesus (you don't think I am? Prove it. Oh, you can't? I like this game) and Mr. Christ tells me he's always thought George H. W. Bush was a toady, a bad father, and an asshole. And he shot JFK.

Golly. Jesus seemed a little snerky.

I found The Gospel of Christian Atheism online. I have a paperback of it in storage somewhere. I bought it based on the title alone in a used bookstore on South Street in Philadelphia. I never read it. Hey- howsbout YOU read it and tell me what it's about? Thanks. I'm busy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home